With this weather, nothing like a good bare ass shit! Or rather cheeky! The little story
Like the bouillabaisse in Marseille or the sauerkraut in Strasbourg, in the Ardennes, we have the cacasse à cul nu. Originally it was a simple and nutritious dish, a fricassee of potatoes, cooked in a cast iron casserole, eaten by the poorest people because the meat was unaffordable.
With the absence of meat, the casserole being used for the preparation was rubbed with a bard of bacon in order to flavor the potatoes during cooking.
Since 2001, the brotherhood of the Cacasse à cul nu has brought this rustic preparation up to date with meat. It is now eaten seasoned, with smoked sausage and slices of bacon. But everyone can decorate it as they want!
Casse recipe for 4-6 people:
- 2-3 smoked sausages
- 1 kg pork or beef
- 1 kilo 500 firm potatoes
- 200 grams of smoked bacon
- 2 big onions
- 1 dl oil
- 2 tablespoons flour
- Thyme, bay leaf, sage, garlic, salt pepper
- stock cube
- white wine (1/2 to 1 glass)
- Brown the meat in a cast iron casserole.
- Then, take it out and add the bacon with the onions.
- Leave to brown and incorporate the flour so as to obtain a colored roux.
- Add 1/2 glass of white wine to give it more flavor.
- Let simmer over low heat then add the meat.
- Stir and season (salt, pepper, bay leaf, sage, thyme, garlic).
- Let cook for 30 to 60 minutes.
- At the end of cooking, add the potatoes cut into pieces.
- Once the cooking of the potatoes is finished, you just have to taste
Enjoy your meal everybody !
A tempting and typically Ardennes recipe idea