On this somewhat gloomy Wednesday, the idea of making a good soup to warm us up comes to our minds.
And even more if it is a tradition and a good one from home: The beer soup.
Preparation for 6 people
- 2 large yellow onions
- 1 piece of butter
- 1 spoonful of flour
- 2 glass of chicken broth
- 1 liter and a half of local blond beer
Making the soup:
- Brown the yellow onions in a nice piece of butter
- Sprinkle with a spoonful of flour and brown, stirring constantly.
- Moisten with the hot chicken broth
- Season with salt and pepper then cook and reduce to a medium boil for 20 minutes.
- Add the regional blonde beer and cook over a low heat, covered, for 30 minutes.
- Serve with bread or grated cheese.
- Eat very hot.
For the record, the beer soup also called Mézières soup had the reputation of calming the most recalcitrant stomachs. It could be sweetened with brown sugar.
Recipe taken from the book: La cuisine des Ardennes, Éditions Noires Terres, Louvergny.