Chapelle Notre-Dame de Divers-monts
Dating from the XNUMXth century, this place would have been the first living area of the city. In the XNUMXth century, it was the seat of the Ardoisiers corporation placed under the patronage of the virgin of Divers-monts.
In 1610, monks obeying the precepts of Saint-Jérôme built a convent nearby. The two buildings were sold as national property during the French Revolution and acquired by an innkeeper from Fumay, a certain Joseph Ridoz, who, around 1795, destroyed the buildings to resell the stones. The chapel was rebuilt in 1802. In 1827, the Archbishop of Reims authorized the celebration of mass there. In August 1914, the building was partially destroyed by a German shell. After the war, in 1919, Father Péchenard then launched a subscription for its repair. This one was carried out between 1919 and 1923 according to the plans of Mr. Bigot, local architect. It is by following a long alley of lime trees, planted in 1738, that one arrives at the Notre-Dame de Divers chapel. Monts.Tradition:Each year, the statue of the Virgin is taken to the parish church during the Pentecost Monday procession, where it remains until the Assumption (August 15).Originally, the Virgin was carried by slate workers. The procession is associated with a legend... The legend: ... One day, when she had been forgotten in the church of Fumay, the virgin was seized with great sadness. When night came, overcome by nostalgia for the convent, she descended from her pedestal, determined to return to the chapel alone. She made the journey on foot, in the rain, wet and soiled with mud. She then decided to wash herself in the small stream which flows at the foot of the rocks of Divers-Monts in order to return resplendent to her sanctuary. Since that time, the water in the stream has been reputed to be miraculous and has the property of curing many illnesses.